Complete STD Test - Female
Please read this manual carefully and completely before collecting your sample. Do not hesitate to contact us for any support.
ACTIVATE YOUR KIT
Important! not activated kits cannot be processed at the lab, so make sure to follow the instructions below.
- Right before collecting the sample, go to kits.abel.care
- Insert the barcode and the verification code written on the activation card that you can find in your Abelcare box. If you scanned the QR code, this step is completed.
- Follow all the steps as requested on the website.
This test contains two tubes. First we guide you through step 1: the vaginal swab (yellow tube), after you will take the blood sample from step 2 (small green or yellow tube).
Step 1: Vaginal swab
- Place all items on a clear surface in front of you.
- Stick the barcode that you can find in the bag onto the yellow tube, as shown in the figure.
- Undress from the waist down. Thoroughly wash your hands before starting.
- Partially peel open the swab package without touching the soft tip of the swab.
IMPORTANT: Do not touch the soft tip of the swab or lay the swab down. If the soft tip is touched, the swab is laid down, or the swab is dropped, the accuracy of the result can be affected.
- Hold the swab in the middle of the stick (shaft) with your thumb and forefinger and remove from the package carefully. Do not lay it down.
- Carefully insert the swab, soft tip first, into your vagina about 5 cm (2 inches) past the opening of the vagina. Gently rotate the swab for 30 seconds, making sure the swab touches the walls of the vagina so that moisture is absorbed by the swab.
- Withdraw the swab without touching your skin.
- While still holding the swab, carefully unscrew the YELLOW cap from the tube of liquid. Do not spill the content of the tube.
- Immediately place the swab into the tube so that the soft tip of the swab is visible below the tube label.
- Carefully break the swab shaft at the scoreline (dented line around middle of stick), being careful not to spill the liquid in the tube.
- Close the tube. Make sure you screwed the cap tightly.
- Discard the remaining part of the swab.
Step 2: Blood sample
- Place all items on a clear surface in front of you. Make sure you have a towel within easy reach.
- Unscrew the GREEN cap of the test tube and place the tube upright in a glass or cup.
- Wash your hands with soap and hot water then place your hands under warm water for 30 seconds. Dry your hands with a clean towel. Warm hands will make blood collection easier.
- Shake your hands to get the blood flowing then clench them for 10 seconds. Release and repeat 4 times.
- Wipe one of the 3 middle fingers of your non-dominant hand with the alcohol wipe and air dry. We recommend to try your ring finger first. Ensure your finger is dried before proceeding.
- Remove the cover of the lancet tip and place the lancet tip on your wiped finger tip.
- Press the lancet firmly against your finger till it pricks your skin.
- Wipe away the first drop of blood with a tissue then place your finger diagonally over the test tube.
- Fill the tube with your blood until it reaches the top line marked on the test tube (1ml, 800 microliters or if your tube has 600 microliters, please fill over the line until blood completely fills the tube). Support the process by standing up and holding your hand below heart level. *
- A gentle squeeze and massage of your finger help the blood flow but avoid squeezing too close to the tip. (Make sure you fill until the top line. If you did not collect enough blood, complete with another lancet and another finger)
- Click the cap of the test tube back on and gently invert the tube 10 times without shaking.
- Clean your finger with the wet wipe and apply a plaster to stop the bleeding.
PACKING AND SHIPPING YOUR SAMPLES
- Place the two tubes in the biohazard bag that you can find in your Abelcare box. Note that the bag has two pouches. Use the one with the silver self-adhesive strip at the end. Tape the bag firmly shut.
- Take everything out of your Abelcare box and place only the biohazard bag with the samples inside the empty box. Close it thoroughly.
- Among the items you will find a white retour bag. Put the box containing the samples inside the retour bag and close it.
- Go to the nearest bpost (Belgium) / DHL (Netherlands) / LaPoste (France) mailbox and drop the package there. (Package is already pre-addressed and prepaid.)
- Within 2 to 3 business days you will receive an email from us (check your spam) that you can consult your results on https://kits.abel.care/results.
Make sure you drop the package in the mailbox on the same day of collection. This date should correspond to the date inserted when you activated your kit.